查英语 >英语学习 >阅读技巧 >我早就说了嘛!

我早就说了嘛!

更新时间:2026-06-18 16:02:34

  Those 4 words never sounded so good

  我从未觉得这几个字如此动听

  til the June morning

  直到一个六月的早晨

  in my mom's hospital room.

  在母亲的病房里

  It began when my mother was admitted to the hospital

  事情的开始是这样的,我母亲要住院

  for a really bad infection in her bladder.

  因为膀胱有严重的感染

  It was November 21

  那是11月21日

  when they called us to her hospital room

  医院把我们一家人叫到母亲的病房里

  to tell us my mom had a mass tumor

  告诉我们,母亲长了一个肿块肿瘤

  it was big in her stomach

  在她的胃里,面积很大

  and it was malignant.

  是个恶性肿瘤

  They went over a couple of options

  他们列出了几种治疗方案

  but all I heard was MDAnderson biopsy.

  我却只听到了癌症中心和活体检查

  That same night at about 2 a.m.

  当天夜里,凌晨两点钟的时候

  my mom got dressed

  我母亲穿戴整齐

  called my stepdad

  叫上我的继父

  and walked out of that hospital,

  两人走出了医院

  she wanted to go home.

  她想要回家

  The next morning

  第二天早上

  we went to talk to the surgeon

  我们去找医生谈话

  to find out what does this mean,

  去询问母亲昨晚的举动有何用意

  how long does she have by refusing treatment

  她这样拒绝治疗,还剩下多少日子

  he said 15 days

  他说,大概半个月

  maybe less.

  也可能更少

  I was so scared

  我害怕极了

  I couldn't accept losing my mom

  我不能承受失去母亲的痛苦

  my only parent

  双亲里我只剩下她了

  since dad died when I was 5 yrs old.

  因为我5岁的时候父亲就过世了

  My stepdad was an ok kinda person

  我的继父是一个不冷不热的人

  just not involved with our lives growing.

  在我们成长过程中,都没有管过我们

  So 15 days,

  所以,还有半个月

  I had

  这就是我所有的全部

  to pray, to beg, to cry,

  我只有这些时间去祈祷,去乞求,去痛哭流涕

  to spend time with my mom.

  去与母亲共度

  I didn't judge her decision

  我没有职责她放弃治疗的决定

  she's my mom

  她是我的母亲

  she has earned the right to decide what she wants.

  她有权决定自己想要的是什么

  My siblings didn't see it that way

  我的兄弟姐妹们并不这样想

  but really what can you do.

  可是你能怎么做呢

  I asked everyone I came in contact with

  我对自己能联系上的每一个人都发出了请求

  if they could say wish good luck for my mom,

  我问他们能否祝我母亲好运

  I mean everyone.

  我说的是所有人

  The day came and went

  日子一天天过去

  and she did sleep a lot

  她确实睡得很多

  but my stepdad says she seems ok,

  但是继父说,她看起来情况还不错

  when I'd go visit her

  当我去看望她的时候

  I would just sit and stare at her

  我坐在那里,紧紧的盯着她

  I imagine she probably felt like a specimen under a microscope

  我想,她大概觉得自己就像是显微镜下面的一个标本

  because she'd just cough

  因为,她只不过喝水呛了一下

  and all heads turned to her glasses of water

  所有人都看向她手中的水杯

  in every direction

  从各个方向看着她

  my poor mom.

  我可怜的妈妈

  Then 7 months later

  7个月过后

  she ends up back in hospital

  她又住进了医院

  because her bladder is hurting real bad.

  因为她的膀胱疼的很厉害

  I remember sitting there

  我记得自己坐在那里

  just me and my granddaughter

  只有我和我的小孙女

  because she really wanted to visit her G.G.Ma

  因为她很想看望一下她的曾祖母

  and I watched her do her crossword puzzle

  我看着她玩字谜

  trying to sneak in a picture here and there.

  设法在这里那里拼出一个图案来

  The oncologist walks in the room

  医生走进病房

  asks my mom how she feeling

  问我母亲感觉如何

  she says I feel fine

  她说,我感觉挺好的

  can I go home now?

  今天我能回家了吗

  The Dr then says

  医生说

  i'm sorry

  实在抱歉

  but I cannot be your doctor

  可是,我没法给你看病

  so I cannot make that decision.

  所以,我也不能决定你何时出院

  She looks confused

  母亲一脸的疑惑

  I'm stunned

  我也感到十分惊讶

  so I asked what did my mom do now?

  于是问道,我妈妈又做了什么

  He smiled

  医生笑了笑

  and looked my mom straight in her eyes

  直直的看着母亲的眼睛

  he says I'm a cancer doctor

  他说,我是一个肿瘤医生

  since all your tests came back clear

  你的结果都非常好

  I cannot be in charge of your care.

  我不能再掌管你的健康问题了

  I'm looking at him

  我定定的看着医生

  wide eyed big goofy smile

  双目圆瞪,一脸傻笑

  and as I turned to see my mom's reaction

  我转过头去看母亲的反应

  she picks up her crossword puzzle

  母亲拿起我女儿的字谜游戏

  says as casual as can be

  用最随意的语气说

  See I told you I wasn't sick!

  看吧,都跟你说了,我没病!

  I could only manage to say

  我一时百感交集,只能说出话一句

  yup you sure did mom.

  嗯呐,你确实说过,妈妈

  That was 2 and a half years ago

  这是两年半之前的事情

  and she's still mouthier as ever

  她还和往常一样巧言善辩

  but I went and thanked everyone

  我向所有的人都道谢了

  because I truly witnessed a miracle first hand.

  因为我真的亲眼见证了一个奇迹

客服